Although I'm not entirely a fan, the FATE system breaks down PC choices to: (1) overcome an obstacle/challenge, (2) create an advantage for later use by you or an ally, (3) attack, (4) defend, and -- added in some supplement or other -- (5) seek clues/information/knowledge. Outside combat, the time scale is flexible, but the categories are applicable to most contexts.
Since then, I've been able to pigeon-hole every PC action into one of those, plus the lamented sixth: wasting precious time. Advancing the narrative doesn't mandate halting play.
Good advice. I've got some pretty new role-players in my group (all are teens) and this should help. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if it helped...
DeleteAlthough I'm not entirely a fan, the FATE system breaks down PC choices to: (1) overcome an obstacle/challenge, (2) create an advantage for later use by you or an ally, (3) attack, (4) defend, and -- added in some supplement or other -- (5) seek clues/information/knowledge. Outside combat, the time scale is flexible, but the categories are applicable to most contexts.
ReplyDeleteSince then, I've been able to pigeon-hole every PC action into one of those, plus the lamented sixth: wasting precious time. Advancing the narrative doesn't mandate halting play.
Thanks!
Delete